LOOKBACK: 27 Trends That Shook Our 2016 Lives In A Positive Way!
Happy New Year!
Now we have to admit that 2016 kind of become a year that rocked our lives with so much changes! It was the year we got our hearts broken over the Brangelina break up which proved that a happily ever after is just a storybook ending, the Iphone 7 let go of Jack to all our dismay, we bid farewell to the Philippine President we never had, the late Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago, we woke up with Mocha Uson getting a column in a reputable broadsheet (scoffs), we get our hearts shattered to pieces with war-torn Aleppo, we got very political with Marcos’ surprise burial, we feast on the De Lima court scandal and the raised eyebrows on the RCBC money laundering scam, Carrie Fisher of Star Wars passed away and a whole lot palm-worthy events!
But let’s not end 2016 looking at the frowning side of life, instead this time let’s take a step out of the shadow and the good year of 2016! Here are 27 trends that gave good vibes to our 2016 lives!
1) The OTWOL (On the wings of love) pair, James Reid and Nadine Lustre gave Valentine kiligs as they become a thing from REEL to the REAL deal! OMG!
2) Finally, the whole world watched as Actor Leonardo DiCaprio won the Oscar for Best Actor! Wooh!
3) The celebrated Filipino director, Lav Diaz, won two international awards!
The 8-hour film Hele Sa Hiwalang Hapis (A Lullaby for the Sorrowful Mystery) won the Silver Bear Alfred Bauer Prize at Berlin Film Festival starring Piolo Pascual alongside John Lloyd Cruz while ‘Woman Who Left’ (Ang Babaeng Humayo) won the Golden Lion at the 2016 Venice Film Festival which stars Charo Santos’ film comeback!
4) Carol Banawa’s hit song “Bakit Di Totohanin” was aired on one of the April episodes of the Vampire Diaries series!
Video source: Your_Blood
5) Jaclyn Jose was the first Filipina to bag the award for Best Actress at 2016 Cannes Film Festival for the movie “Ma’ Rosa.”
6) Meanwhile, Maria Isabel Lopez slayed in her fierce emerald gown at Cannes Film Festival and stole the show at the red carpet!
Reposting… Maria Isabel Lopez ???? pic.twitter.com/6EP5rEdZDf
— Joza Banting (@superjoza88) May 19, 2016
7) We have our first transgender politician to win a seat in Congress! Hail to Bataan 1st Dist.Rep. Geraldine Roman!
8) The sequel of the 2003 Pixar hit animated film “Finding Nemo,” “Finding Dory,” was released and reminded us to just keep swimming!
Video source: TheEllenShow
9) Michelle Obama did Carpool Karaoke! Now, that’s something you don’t see everyday for a first lady of a head of state!
Video source: The Late Late Show with James Corden
10) 2016 is the year Smart came up with a heartwarming ad for the LGBT community which followed a few more like-themed ads! Awwww!
11) And yes, our childhood got the spotlight as we got crazy over Pokemon Go! Geesh! Gotta catch ‘em all right!
12) When Charlie Puth came to the Philippines and tweeted Liza Soberano if she would be coming to his concert to which Liza apologized in kind! Like how to be you po Liza?!
13) Janine Tugonon gave us hopes for a Pinay Victoria’s Secret Angel as she was the first Pinay to be on a Victoria’s Secret Pink ad! Fingers crossed for next year! Go Janine!
14) Kylie Versoza was the 6th Pinay to be crowned with the coveted Miss International title! Her winning speech ruled!
15) Plus, we laid eyes on a powerhouse selfie of Miss Universe 2015 (Pia Wurtzbach), Miss World 2013 (Meghan Young) and Miss International 2016 (Kylie Versoza)! Squad GOALS!
16) The spoken-word Poetry of Karel Marquez and Sean Fariñas pre-nup video shed hope for all the hopeless romantics! The ultimate feels!
Video source: Marian Dantes
17) We get down and take on the Mannequin challenge!
Video source: Associated Press
18) Ma’ Rosa’s Brillante Mendoza wins best director in Gijon! FTW!
19) Paolo Ballesteros won Best Actor at the Tokyo International Film Festival for his role in “Die Beautiful.” The film also won the Audience Choice Award!
20) Janella sang Disney’s Moana themesong! And we just can’t get enough of the latest Polynesian Princess!
Video source: Walt Disney Studios Philippines
21) We got our wish from a Sky Full of Stars as Cold play officially announced their concert in the Philippines! Tears!
A video posted by Coldplay (@coldplay) on Nov 14, 2016 at 4:14am PST
22) Manny Pacquiao wins comeback fight against Jessie Vargas!
23) Looks like it’s a good year for Indie films! Hello MMFF 2016!
24) And just when we thought Solenn Huessaff and Georgina Wilson, who tied the knot earlier this year is the latest of Anne’s barkada to say I Do, Anne Curtis gets engaged to Erwan Heussaff! Finally!
Je t’aime mon amour ❤️ @erwanheussaff A photo posted by Anne Curtis (@annecurtissmith) on Dec 17, 2016 at 6:42pm PST
25) Plus, Coleen Garcia says YES to Billy Crawford! Huhu!
My forever ❤ (???? @dominicroque) A photo posted by Coleen Garcia ???? (@coleengarcia) on Dec 20, 2016 at 6:55pm PST
26) Filipina beauty queens Maggie Wilson and Parul Shah are the winners of the 5th season of “The Amazing Race Asia.”
A photo posted by Parul Shah (@parulshah88) on Dec 15, 2016 at 11:18pm PST
27) A Couple shared a heartwarming scene after they gave food to a street kid! This gesture of love restored faith in humanity!
2016 is definitely a year that surprised us! The year gave us shocking announcements, heart-wrenching news outbreaks, and other trends that hurt us. However, with bad news always comes the good news! We hope the positive trends that shook you in 2016 will be enough to leave the past and move on to look forward for a better year ahead.
Have a prosperous 2017! To more great news!
Leave a Comment