How to Clean Your Diamond Jewelry
It has often been said that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. Not only are they incredibly glamorous and exclusive, but its value does not depreciate over the years as well.
Filipinos, being lovers of shiny bling and jewelry, gravitate towards diamonds over other precious stones. It is not just seen as an accessory, but also, a sound investment that can be sold, traded, or pawned—depending on one’s need or circumstance.
What Makes Diamonds so Valuable?
Apart from the fact that they are mined deep in the earth, the rarity of diamonds adds to its overall appeal. Being a natural stone, it is found in select areas of the world, and not in great quantities.
So, it would be safe to say that not all diamonds are created equal. Some pieces are more prized and valuable than others due to their shape, color, size, cut, clarity, brilliance, and their lack of imperfections. However, the standard for grading diamonds has been trimmed down to its clarity, color, carat weight, and cut.
When purchasing diamonds, or if you are ever gifted with one (say your engagement ring), it is important to have its value assessed and certified by diamond experts. You can have a trusty jeweler or “alahera” appraise the value of your diamonds, or you can take them to a pawnshop to know its current market value.
Even if you don’t intend to pawn your diamond jewelry just yet, it would be helpful to know how much they’re worth. This way, if the need ever arises, you know that you can get roughly this amount for them.
Keeping Diamonds Clean and Sparkling
To keep the market value of your diamonds at its highest, jewelers advise keeping these stones clean and sparkling. However, be very careful with the cleaning solution you will be using, as very harsh ones can damage the stones.
Here’s how to clean a diamond in 10 easy steps:
- Before you begin, make sure that you close the drain in your sink, or insert a strainer to keep your jewelry from slipping down.
- Wear rubber gloves and fill the sink with very hot water.
- Add a small amount of mild detergent, mix thoroughly.
- Place the diamond in a small container filled with this solution. Allow it to soak for 10 minutes or so.
- Remove from the first solution and transfer to another dish filled with window cleaner. Let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- With a soft brush, scrub away dirt and build up on the ring. Pay close attention to the metal setting and the back of the diamond. Cleaning this will add the sparkle back to your precious stone.
- Rinse off in the detergent and water solution to wash off loose dirt.
- Afterward, rinse under hot running water.
- Air dry or use a lint-free clothing.
- Check to see if all the dirt has been removed.
If you’re looking for a reliable place to take your diamonds for appraisal, you should visit PawnHero. They can give you an accurate assessment of your diamonds and other jewelry without necessarily going to them. Just send a photo of your diamonds or any other item you want to be appraised (and later on, pawned), and they will reply with its current market value.
Aside from diamonds and jewelry, PawnHero also accepts gadgets, laptops, and other items while offering the lowest interest rate—only 2.99% compared to 6% at other pawn shops. The terms are light and very friendly. For more information, click here.
Leave a Comment